Friday, September 3, 2010

I Left My Heart in San Francisco

Where do I go two weeks before I am heading to Cameroon and should be frantically packing? San Francisco. Devin had to apply for a visa at the French Consulate to be a language assistant in France this upcoming year, so I decided to take the opportunity to see another part of the U.S. before I leave for 2 years.

I was pretty blown away by the city and maybe the best thing that we stumbled upon was San Francisco's (and the United State's) first AIDS Memorial Park. It was both very moving and inspiring to walk through the garden's that were built by many volunteers to pay tribute to and remember those affected by HIV/AIDS.

About .60% of our population is infected with HIV/AIDS compared to 5.10% of the population in Cameroon (CIA World Factbook, 2007). Although Cameroon's HIV/AIDS prevalence rates are on the lower end compared to other Sub-Saharan African nations such as South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho, Zimbabwe & Zambia (whose prevalence rates all exceed 15% of their respective populations), I know that HIV/AIDS prevention work will most likely be incorporated into my work as a health volunteer.

http://www.aidsmemorial.org/getting-to-the-grove

No comments:

Post a Comment