Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Bags are Packed and I'm Ready to Go!

I am currently at the JFK Airport about to board my flight to Cameroon via Brussels!

To rewind a little bit...

On Tuesday the 14th, I flew to Philadelphia for my staging (orientation) event. I, and the other west coast area trainees, had to come in a night early because day of flights wouldn't have arrived in time. I had a great night out with some fellow early arrivers including a DELICIOUS Philly Cheesesteak sandwhich (as can only be expected).

Our staging began on Wednesday where we all became official trainees, learned more about what to expect and also what is expected of us as volunteers. But most importantly, we (all 50 of us) had the chance to meet each other. Yes, I said 50 of us! Our training group is made up of about half health trainees - like myself - and half agriculture/forestry trainees.

This morning we checked out of our hotel at 6:30 AM and went to go get yellow fever vaccines. After the vaccines, we boarded a bus that took us to the JFK airport. We arrived nice & early because having such a large group (and a lot of luggage) takes some time to get checked-in & through security.

Now I am anxiously waiting to board my flight! I have definitely transitioned back in to being overwhelming inspired & excited after all of the hard goodbyes. I have also started reading Three Cups of Tea (thanks Mom!) which has completely reaffirmed why I am joining the Peace Corps in the first place.

So what is next?

We'll arrive in Yaounde, Cameroon at precisely 4:35 PM tomorrow. Peace Corps Cameroon staff will meet us at the airport and take us back to a hotel in the Yaounde that we will be staying at for 4-5 nights while we finish up orientation, receive more vaccinations, and take our initial French language assessment. Early next week we will head to Bafia - a city a couple hours North of Yaounde - for our 11-week, intensive Pre-Service Training. It is here that we'll live with separate host families and meet at the Peace Corps training site for language, culture & technical training.

I'm not sure when I will have a chance to post next, but more will come when I am able!

6 comments:

  1. So exciting. I'm living vicariously through you for the next two years. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Katie! You're doing it! I've been thinking about you a lot this week and will continue to think about you as your adventure unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you! You are going to do so well and i'm sure you will grow and learn so much. It is hard to leave when life is going well, but i know you won't regret this adventure. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't let the nervousness get you. Just remember all the wonderful things that are ahead. I too am living through you! Hope your travels were safe and we are excited to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read what happens next! enjoy every minute of it. Even the not so enjoyable moments...=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie: I recently registered for French class at WCC...and thought of you! I just caught up on your blog; glad to hear things seem to be progressing well and that you are again enthusiastic for this adventure! :) I'll enjoy reading your updates. Thoughts and prayers go with you! (And enjoy Three Cups of Tea. I read it when it first came out and continue to recommend it to my World Literature students!)

    ReplyDelete