Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Goodbye Party

Yesterday, my parents hosted a goodbye party for my in Olympia. It was a beautiful day and I was able to spend a little time with my family before I leave for Cameroon. We made Cameroonian style food to give everyone a little taste of what I'll be eating and experiencing over the next two years which included:

- Fu-fu (of course!): The staple dish of West Africa. I made fu-fu from plantains but you can also use cassava, corn, couscous and other starches/root veggies. I was a bit worried at first because it has the weirdest texture... kind of like gooey mashed potatoes in a dough-like ball, but I actually quite liked it!

- Beef stew which was to accompany the fu-fu

- Chicken skewers with spicy peanut sauce

- Corn on the cob

- Sweet potato biscuits: my Aunt found a DELICIOUS recipe for these dessert-like biscuits that are also eaten elsewhere in Africa - except Cameroon's version is unique as it includes lime zest & coconut.

- Shrimp!! (Cameroon is the land of shrimp after all)

- Lots of salads & fresh fruit

- German beer & South African wine

And most importantly, GREAT company. Thank you everyone for coming - I will miss you all and can't wait to share my adventures with you as they unfold!

1 comment:

  1. So much fun!

    But I ate too much food. No surprise.

    ReplyDelete