Thursday, September 30, 2010

Greeting from Cameroon!

I made it to Cameroon 2 weeks ago after quite the adventure! Our flight leaving from JFK was delayed so much that we missed our connecting flight in Brussels thus keeping us a night in Belgium. The earliest flight they could fit all 50 of us on a plane left the next morning but to a different city, Douala, in Cameroon!

We arrived in Douala on Saturday the 18th and stayed over there before heading to Yaounde, the capital city, on Sunday. The bus ride between the two cities took about 3 hours and was SO beautiful! I will post pictures at some point in the probably not-near-future, but thinks of lots and lots of green, rain-foresty landscape!

We had one day of orientation in Yaounde before boarding the bus for another 2 hours to move into our homestays. I am currently living with a wonderful family in a rural village called Nyamsong where I will be for 5 weeks to get the rural Cameroon experience before switching with another volunteer who is staying in the semi-urban setting of Bafia.

I am really enjoying my time here so far & training! I hope to update more soon with some pictures when I get the chance!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Katie! Sounds like you're off and running! I've been thinking about you & this fantastic adventure of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you're happy and made it safely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a posting. I am excited to hear that you made it there safe and sound. The drive sounds like it was amazing. I can not wait to see pictures.

    I can't wait to hear some of the stories from the people you meet. Be safe...

    ReplyDelete