Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Goodbyes are the Worst

Simply put, the worst. I know this nauseous, pit-in-my-stomach feeling will soon pass, but for at least awhile, a bit of sadness has overtaken my feelings of excitement. It is times like this that I wish I could be content with never leaving home, because each time I leave, it seems to get harder. It ends up being that the same people that I travel great lengths to meet or see in the first place, are the same people that it pains me to say goodbye to. However, I know these feelings are not only a required part of my departure for the Peace Corps, but a healthy reflection of how much my friends and family mean to me. For those of you worried that I will never return – be assured that I will. I will be gone for quite awhile, there is no denying that, but I know that this experience will enrich my life in ways unimaginable. It is all of your support that gave me the courage to not only join the Peace Corps, but will help me through the challenges I am bound to encounter.

4 comments:

  1. Katie, I'm thinking of you dearly, and am sending nothing but l-o-v-e your way. Be safe, and I'm looking forward to updates whenever you get those precious spare moments!
    xo,
    Brittani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I can't wait to read about your adventures in Cameroon and will definitely be sure to send letters, cards, and care packages your way.

    Love,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an eloquent post. Loving you, Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the sweet letter, bling, and photo. I will keep them close knowing that I will see you soon. Have fun, stay safe, and keep the updates frequent. Love you, Erin.

    ReplyDelete