Saturday, December 4, 2010

Now a PCV!

On Wednesday, December 1st, I officially swore in as a Peace Corps Volunteer! Training is over and I have said goodbye to my lastest home of 3 months and am on my way to post. The ceremony was very nice - all of us volunteers got matching clothes made (will post pics when I get the chance!). The Peace Corps hosted a nice lunch reception to follow to give thanks to our homestay families and the community.

December 1st was also World AIDS Day so we included a tribute to those affected by HIV/AIDS in the ceremony as well. Conservative statistics show that 1 in 20 Cameroonians are infected with HIV/AIDS. Although HIV/AIDS tests, treatment and preventative methods are readily available, it is stigma and gender inequality that contribute most heavily to the epidemic.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! I can't believe that you've been there for three months already..

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, congratulations! I'm so excited to hear about all your future PCV happenings.

    ReplyDelete