Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dust-induced Sneezes and Polio Vaccines

Last Sunday I moved into my new place in Nyambaka! I absolutely love it. My neighbors are incredibly generous (they keep bringing me meals and have been helping me set up my place), the community is so welcoming and exctied to have us, and my co-workers at the hospital are so kind. The weather is warm during the day and refreshingly cool at night, and I get to watch the most amazing sunset everynight over the rolling savannah lined with banana trees. As one would say in French, j'ai le chance.

I spent the last four days helping with my hospital's vaccination campaign. We went from door-to-door in both Nyambaka and all of the smaller surrounding villages vaccinating kids against Polio, providing Vitamin A supplements and passing out deworming pills. It was a great way to get to know the area and meet the communities I'll be working with for the next two years. (And I felt like I was in a scene from Mountains Beyond Mountains which was pretty awesome).

Right now they are prepping the road infront of my village to be paved which means that it is both a really exciting and dusty time! I'm really impressed by how quickly they are working even though it means that I have to sweep my house two times a day, wash my floors daily, and only get one wear out of my clothes.

That's all the updating I have time for now. Even though there is so much more to say, I think that "I absolutely love Nyambaka" sums it up as well as anything could. Hopefully by the next time I write, there will be a lovely paved road where the pills of dust currently are and I'll be a little more conversational in Fulfulde. And if not sooner, have a Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

  1. So fun talking to you on Skype last night! Hopefully the goats will stop eating your banana tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! PS our calendars are on the way and I'll find some way to send yours down to Ngaoundere as soon as they arrive :)

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was almost two years ago we were sitting in your apartment drinking wine while I prepped for my initial PC interview. What I love about us, is that all of those discussions about our great plans for life while we walked Bella or sat at the Grand sipping coctails turned into a reality! So glad you feel welcome and happy in your village Katie. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me so happy to read this! Glad you're loving Nyambaka!Woo woo!
    xoxo
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you that you like your placement! I look forward to hearing more. You posts are great; there is so much voice in your writing :) miss you! Merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thrilled you love where you are living. I think about you often, wondering what you're up to. Love you lots!

    -Sis

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad to hear that you like where you are living. Don't worry, you're not missing anything in the states. Your stories make me want to hop on a plane and travel the world.

    Josh and I got engaged in November, and it made me think of how incredible it would have been to be at ICHC...because we all know that we would have thrown a party. Maybe even a little Bayou at the Bay. Miss you tons and stay safe. Excited to hear more about your travels!

    Happy Holidays in AFRICA!

    Shasta

    ReplyDelete